Momentum – this is a word used in sporting events to describe when one team suddenly is performing better than the other. The team then feeds off the positive energy to feel they can win and defeat the other team no matter what the scoreboard says.
The BCS National Championship game played between Auburn and Florida State a few days ago is a classic example of momentum turning on a dime. Down 21-3 and a few minutes before halftime, Coach Jimbo Fisher of the Seminoles calls for a fake punt at midfield. The play works and the Seminoles capture the momentum and score a touchdown to make it 21-10. The momentum carries into the 2nd half and Florida State wins a great game 34-31 for the national title.
In our daily lives, momentum is just as real. Oftentimes when things don’t go our way, we become discouraged and turn negative which tends to bring us down. Here are five things to consider this New Year to help us ride the wave of success and hopefully draw us closer to God.
1. Humility – When good things happen, may we give God the glory! At the end of the day, it was He who gave us the strength and wisdom to succeed.
2. Leadership – Step up and take some risks this year. God calls us to serve in many capacities – quit making excuses and go for it.
3. Teamwork – Excitement is contagious! Give your team freedom to share and opportunities to use the gifts and talents God has given them.
4. Short Memory – You can’t live in the past. Every one of us has fallen way short of the mark. You will never gain momentum by dwelling on past mistakes.
5. Drive – Setting our sights on achievements and goals is a huge motivation to help us push through adversity. Stay focused on the finish line.
May we seize the momentum in 2014 with fervency and resolve in every area of our lives and achieve victories that are meaningful and lasting that ultimately draw us closer to God.
“Do you know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.” -I Corinthians 9:24