The Bible talks about giving quite a bit. And the Lord knew each generation would have struggle between prioritizing the riches of this world as compared to the riches of Heaven. And preaching about giving can be even more of a challenge.
Jesus said, “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust corrupt, and where thieves break in and steal…….For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21)
The Bible also says God loves a cheerful giver. Giving is a tremendous part of worship. Every believer knows tithing and giving is important, but many do not practice giving faithfully.
The challenge for every pastor is to not shy away from preaching on this subject, but not harping on it either. This delicate balance is often a key to success for the church to reach its goals and experience true, sustained growth.
To those pastors preparing for 2016, here are six suggestions to consider when preaching on giving in the new year:
1) Consider preaching a series (three or four weeks) on giving.
2) Make sure when speaking on the subject that you and your family are tithing. No one respects what one says if they’re not practicing it.
3) Pray hard about which scriptures to use when preaching on giving.
4) Don’t guilt people in to giving through manipulation. Preach the Word and let God handle the rest.
5) Be transparent about the church’s needs when preaching on giving. People are motivated to give to a cause or a need instead of just a general budget.
6) Share stories with the people of how God has used the people’s giving to bless others in a tangible way.
Are there more you’d add to these six? If so, please leave them in the comments section below.