Not only is it important to have your children in church starting at a young age but it is also important to get them to start serving. Teenagers have so much going on with sports, school, dance, etc. but we must show them and teach them that serving at church must be a priority too. Here are some tips to get them to begin serving early.
- Lead by example. Serve on a committee or team at your church to show them the fullness it brings to your life.
- Show them how much of an impact they are making. Let them see the blessings they are bringing to themselves and others by serving God’s kingdom.
- Make the meetings fun. Explain what they are going to do in a fun way. Make the meetings a pizza party or make your own ice cream sundae bar.
- Make it about teamwork. Have them serve on teams with their family and friends. Even let them invite their friends that do not attend your church to serve.
- Give them ownership. Let them come up with ideas on how to serve God’s kingdom then let them lead the project.
The bottom line is teenagers want to serve. We need to help lead them in the right direction and make them feel needed, heard, and appreciated. Let them know they are a good and faithful servant. “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45