Study of COVID-19 Impact
on U.S. Catholic Parish Giving
Summary of the Study and Key Findings
A new study from a partnership between ACS Technologies and Villanova University’s Center for Church Management in the Villanova School of Business examined the ongoing effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on church giving. The inaugural report released today sampled nearly 1,000 U.S. Catholic parishes in 43 states. The researchers discovered the following key findings:
- After an initial 9% drop in the first six months of the pandemic, total donations increased over pre-pandemic levels.
- Despite the increase in absolute dollars, when adjusted for inflation, parishes have 11% less to spend today than they did pre-pandemic.
- Forty eight percent of parishes experienced an increase in giving, while 47% experienced a decline.
- Parishes in the south and west fared better, with increased giving over pre-pandemic levels, while parishes in the northeast and midwest fared worse as giving declined.
- The number of donors decreased by 26% initially and is still below pre-pandemic numbers by 16%.
- Fewer donors are contributing more to fund parish life. While this is good news from a generosity perspective, it is ominous news from a sustainability perspective.
Meet the Spokesperson
Terry Poplava is available for comment. To request an interview, contact Carrie Kline at email@example.com.
Terry Poplava, Director of Strategic Expertise
Terry Poplava was an integral part of the vision to provide a current look at the data to understand giving since COVID-19. He has extensive experience working with churches across the U.S. in support of their stewardship and engagement efforts and can help churches understand what this report means for them.
Terry coaches churches in the following: strategic planning and development for effective evangelization and discipleship cultivation; strengthening church leadership, member and community engagement, and financial health; and identifying generational insights for leaders to apply to their congregations, or re-engage those who have left.
As director of strategic expertise at ACS Technologies, Terry leads the company’s expansion of consulting services through forging relationships with organizations who are leaders in serving across Christian denominations, along with developing consultancies based on ACS Technologies’ expertise. He is dedicated to stewardship and to supporting church leaders by developing people and creating trusted resources.
Sample Interview Questions
ACS Technologies partnered with the Center for Church Management in the Villanova School of Business to conduct a study on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Catholic parish giving. Below are some example interview questions you may wish to use:
- ACS Technologies partnered with the Center for Church Management in the Villanova School of Business to conduct a study on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Catholic parish giving. Can you offer an overview of what the study measured?
- What were some of the most interesting conclusions you found from analyzing the data?
- What should pastors and parish administrators take away from the results of this study?
- Where can people go to access the full report?
- What’s next for ACS Technologies in its partnership with Villanova’s Center for Church Management?