While summer still feels so far away, spring is upon us, and that means it is time to begin planning for your summer VBS! There are many things you can start to do NOW to ensure a successful VBS experience for both your students and volunteers.
Here are nine ways to start preparing for VBS now:
1) Have a church event during the spring where you do some crafts, games, and songs using the VBS theme. This will peak the interest of your families and help them anticipate the VBS summer fun!
2) Have some of your youth share during a Sunday morning service about the positive impact VBS had on their lives and how much they enjoyed it. This testimony is a great way to encourage children to attend and adults to volunteer!
3) Establish who your VBS coordinator or coordinators will be. It is important to choose your leadership team soon, so they can begin to plan and recruit volunteers.
4) Have a mini planning retreat for a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Making sure your leadership is all on the same page and having clear expectations and understanding of roles helps ensure a successful VBS.
5) Set the dates for when you will hold VBS, training sessions for your teachers, and decorating for the VBS theme. All of this takes time, and you need to make sure it is on the church calendar.
6) Have a church volunteer event where you share more details about the theme and the curriculum and give people the opportunity to sign up for specific volunteer roles. This is when your leadership team takes over and recruits a great team of volunteers.
7) Plan an afternoon when your craft people come and practice making the crafts in the curriculum and the snack people practice making theme-based snacks.
8) Set up VBS as a Realm church event so you can communicate clearly the details of your event and simplify registration.
9) Pray, pray, pray! This is the most important step of all because we know that it’s God’s job to build His church!
So which one of these 9 tips will you do first to make this the best VBS yet?